WP Jump Menu: A WordPress Plugin by Jim Krill

Posted by on Mar 15, 2012 in Open-Source, Plugins, WordPress | 24 Comments

For any WordPress developer (or user) this is a must have plugin.

WP Jump Menu creates a drop-down menu which makes it easy to jump to a page, post, or any custom post type (including media) for editing.  Two clicks and you are editing!

Features:

• Three location options
    (create a customized bar across the top or bottom, or put the drop-down in the WP Toolbar (WP v. 3.0+)
  • Now Featuring: Chosen JS Plugin
    Now you can select to use Chosen, which transforms the jump menu into a beautifully styled drop-down with search functionality.
  • Choose what content you want to put in the menu.
    Posts, Pages, Media or any created Custom Post Types
  • Many options for how posts/pages are displayed in the menu.
    Show/Hide different posts status, display a certain number of posts/pages, change how they are ordered, change the order of the posts/pages/custom post types in the menu, + more!

Download:

Why is this needed?

By adding this utility, you can save A TON of time when editing a bunch of posts or pages.  No more do you have to click on Pages and then search for the right page in the list, then click on the title or edit.  Simply find the page in the drop-down and click and it will jump to edit that page or post.

Updates

WP Jump Menu was completely rewritten from the ground up from the original version to include WP Cache to speed up the display of the menu.  Even so, you may want to limit the number of posts or pages if you have an extremely large number of them.

The hierarchy display (for pages and custom posts with hierarchy) was completely rewritten utilizing some of the same code that WordPress natively uses when displaying the list of pages on the All Pages page.

Screen Shots

The WP Jump Menu inserted into the WP Toolbar (with post ID showing).

The options screen.  Here you can customize WP Jump Menu to meet your needs. (click on image for full-size version)

24 Comments

1. Tabitha
    August 22, 2012

Hi there,
    I hate to bug you about your lovely plugin (which I use all the time and very much appreciate) but was wondering if you might be able to tell me how to change it’s permission settings. I have found out that the jump menu, and hence all pages, posts and products are viewable to any users that are logged in. If you might know, off the top of your head, where I might alter this, I would really appreciate if you could tell me. I am sure you are quite busy though so I won’t think twice if I don’t hear back.

Best wishes,
    Tabitha

• Jim Krill
      August 23, 2012

Hi Tabitha,

I have yet to setup permission settings, but that IS an important feature that I should build in. As soon as things slow down for me I will definitely tackle fixing that! Thanks for the feedback!

Jim

2. Matt Minde
    August 23, 2012

Hi Jim!
    I work for a tiny independent newspaper in Yellow Springs OH, and manage the website. We used your wonderful Jump Menu plug-in for some time, but when I upgraded your plug-in to 2.4, it disabled the back-end WP slide down menus. BTW, we’re still using WP 3.1, and are in discussion with our web designer on how to upgrade without destroying anything. So, do you have any insight into this? or is there a way we can get a hold of a pre-2.4 Jump Menu plug-in? Thanks in advance! —MM

• Jim Krill
      August 23, 2012

Hi Matt,

Thanks for using the plugin! Sorry the newest version isn’t working for you. I’m trying to make sure that the plugin works across the board, but I’m always running into special setups where it is not working.

If you want me to troubleshoot what’s going on, you could email me credentials for a temporary login to your admin section. It wouldn’t even need to be administative – I would just need to see the jump menu in action and check for javascript errors and things like that. You can email me at jim [at] krillwebdesign.com.

If not, you can always download previous versions by going to the plugins page on wordpress.org, here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-jump-menu/developers/

3. Andrea
    December 13, 2012

Hi there,

thanks for you GREAT plugin. A real time saver:)

Just a quick question: is it possible to remove “WP Jump Menu>>” from the left hand side of the drop down menu? I don’t think it is doing any work and, as my bar is already very crowded, I end up with two “black” lines at the top of my WP page.
    It would also be good to be able to resize the dimension of the drop down menu, so that on smaller screens we can have everything on one line.

Thanks again!!

• Jim Krill
      December 14, 2012

Great suggestion Andrea!

It inspired me to update the plugin. I added that in along with some pretty exciting other changes. Have a look and let me know what you think!

- Jim

4. Andrea
    December 15, 2012

Hi Jim,

thanks for that. It’s great! There is one bug, though… it seems that when I save the new settings the setting page forgets the latest settings (sorry for the tongue twister), so if I want to change something I have to start from scratch:)

Am I making any sense?

It is quite late now. Tomorrow I will have a more serious play:)

5. Andrea
    December 15, 2012

hhhmmm I cannot set it to order by date.

MUST go to bed now:)

• Jim Krill
      December 15, 2012

Can you tell me:
      1. What browser your using
      2. What version of the plugin you were updating from
      3. What version of WordPress you are running

Thanks!

6. Andrea
    December 15, 2012

Hi there,

OK, I can order by date (it was late last night:) )but the settings are NOT being remembered so I have to start from scratch every time.

Firefox 16 and Safari 5.1
    Whatever the latest previous page
    3.4.1

7. Andrea
    December 15, 2012

Whoops… I meant
    whatever the latest previous version was :)

8. Andrea
    December 15, 2012

Have just tried 3.0.1, no change:(

• Jim Krill
      December 16, 2012

I can’t seem to reproduce this.

I tried setting up a local install with WordPress 3.4.1 and then installed the plugin and it worked fine.

I didn’t try upgrading from a previous version though. So maybe try uninstalling the plugin (deleting it) and then reinstalling it / downloading it. Let me know if that works.

• Jim Krill
        December 16, 2012

Yeah. I even tried install the last version of the jump menu and then updating it – like you would have. I can’t seem to reproduce the problem of not being to save the settings.

Sorry!

• Andrea
          December 16, 2012

Hi Jim,

I think you are right, it is I (or rather, my theme) who has a problem. I have tried the plugin in my test area with a different theme, and over there it works fine.

As I am in the process of switching themes anyway, I shan’t be wasting time trying to get your plugin to work properly. After all it is perfectly usable as is, and if with the new theme it is going to work anyway, what’s the point?

Thanks again for a very useful plugin :D :D

9. Casey van Bronkhorst
    December 22, 2012

Got the new Jump plugin and installed it this afternoon – chose left-hand alignment, reloaded, and … still right-ways aligned.

I’m using the latest Suffusion theme release, but I don’t see how that would impact the admin area where this deploys.

• Jim Krill
      January 3, 2013

Hi Casey,

Are you still having this problem? Have you tried installing the latest version of the Jump Menu?

Have you tried reloading / clearing cache?

Let me know if you are still having issues and I’ll look into it.

10. Valerie Adler
    January 1, 2013

Hi Jim, thanks for this great tool, which I load onto every site I build. I’ve just had a curious thing happen, though, at http://www.phrsolutions.co.uk. I went to update the plugin this morning, the update failed, and now the plug-in is no longer listed in Installed Plugins…however, when I try to install it from scratch, I get a message saying the installation failed because it’s already there! It says:

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /content/sites/p/h/phrsolutions.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/wp-jump-menu/

Plugin install failed.

I have access to the host’s control panel, so guess I could go find it there and delete, but that shouldn’t happen…?

Please let me know if you have any advice for me before I go to the destination folder t delete, in case I muck something up!

Cheers, Valerie

• Jim Krill
      January 3, 2013

Hi Valerie,

I’m not sure why that is happening. Sorry about that!

What I would suggest is to delete the plugin (if you can’t do it / don’t have permissions from the Plugins page, you’ll need to login via FTP or your control panel and delete the wp-jump-menu plugin folder) and then try reinstalling it. Should work.

If you’re still having problems, let me know.

• Valerie Adler
        January 7, 2013

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. I did as you suggested: deleted the folder from the control panel and re-installed. It’s never happened before, and now I’m having the same problem with Jetpack, so I think it’s the host. I’ll be getting onto them about it next!

I love the WP Jump menu, and found I HATED not having it! Thanks for a great plugin and for your quick help.

Cheers, Valerie

11. Tim Osborn
    January 2, 2013

Great Plugin, Jim! It’s going to save me a ton of time!

Thought I’d mention that on FF17.0.1 Mac the jump menu is distorting the admin bar (no big deal!) screenshot: http://imgur.com/20O0b

And a feature request / suggestion: would you consider adding a link to the front end of search results? I could imagine a small button hard left of each result: http://imgur.com/35rxy

Thanks again, and HNY! Cheers, Tim

• Jim Krill
      January 3, 2013

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the kind words!

I’ll look into that FF bug and see if I can get it looking sharp again!

That’s a great feature request, and something I have thought about in the past. I’ve considered maybe doing like a ctrl+click or shft+click or something to load the post/page on the front end – but I could never seem to get it to work.

I like you’re idea of adding an icon next to each item that would load the page on the front end. I’m looking into it, but can’t promise anything. It’s a little complicated with select menus. What you’re explaining I can imagine being possible with the chosen plugin that I’ve added (for styled drop-downs) but that’s a little complicated, and I’ll need to see what I can do.

Thanks for the idea!

Cheers!

12. Mike wade
    January 30, 2013

So I just upgraded to the latest version (3.1.2) and I love the improvements, especially the “Chosen” formatting improvements. I have two small questions, and one actual issue.

The issue is, I can’t seem to sort by Title. I’m only listing Pages, as that is all I’m managing on this site (not using it as a blog). I’ve tried everything I can think of and nothing changes. The sort stays the same. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Question 1. I’m actually using Chosen to format the colors (i.e. Public is red, Private is Green), so I don’t actually want to see the “Post_Status” after the title. Any way to turn that off?

Question 2. When I turn on “Display the post object’s ID next to the item in the jump menu. ” it shows the ID at the beginning AND at the end of each page title. Any way to select one or the other?

Great plug-in though. It makes it SO much easier to edit the Pages.

Thanks again!

13. keith
    October 3, 2013

Love the plugin and use it on every website. However, it is starting to throw PHP notices on newer versions of WordPress in debug mode. Nothing fatal, but it clutters up the feedback when developing:

register_uninstall_hook called incorrectly (line 75)
    html not defined (line 462) fixed by adding $html = ”; before the concat statements that follow.

The last one I can’t find has to do with has_cap calling user levels rather than capabilities. (deprecated since WP 2.0) I can’t find the problem but it only appears when Jump Menu is activated.

Thanks for this great tool.